Sunday, September 2, 2012

My newest hobby

This is Ben speaking.

So, those of you who know me, know that I am a bit back-woods.  Grew up in Wyoming, was member of the 4-H and FFA (actually I was the star greenhand in my FFA chapter in high school) aspired to ranching and rodeo greatness.  That was until I realized that I like to eat and I don't like broken bones.  I have wandered from my country roots over the years, but not very far.  Now that we are back in the wild west (Idaho) I have come back to my hickness with a vengeance.  As you may have realized from Mona's recent posts, we are doing quite a few cowboy adventures.

So, it is with great pride that I announce my latest hobby, being a rodeo doctor.  I was reading something that I wrote when I was  about 8 or 9 years old, I said that I wanted to be a world champion saddle bronc rider when I grew up.  For you that are rodeo novices, it is riding bucking horses.  When I realized that I was too skinny, too scared and wouldn't like traveling around the country following the rodeo, I decided the next best thing would be to go to medical school and become a pediatric pulmonologist.  But being a physician has its benefits.  I have always wanted to be a part of the rodeo, not just to sit in the stands and watch.  So I found out that the Justin Boot Company has a sports medicine program that travels to major rodeos around the country taking care of those hard riding fools that are addicted to danger and want to ride bulls and bucking horses.  About a year ago I finally found someone that was involved and asked if I could join in the fun.  They were a bit skeptical, but I was persuasive and they let me join.  Here in Boise there are two of the biggest PRCA rodeo's in the country, the Snake River Stampede and the Caldwell Night Rodeo.


 Snake River Stampede.  Me in the red plaid shirt.


                                                
 This is Cody Wright, a really good saddle bronc rider.  Mona had to take a picture because we bought a video about him and the boys want to watch it all the time.


Caldwell Night Rodeo.  The rodeo is big into Breast Cancer Awareness and they always have a night that they call "Tough enough to wear Pink," They donate some of the proceeds to the local hospital to pay for mammograms for those who can't afford it... usually several thousands of dollars. We all get to wear pink western shirts on that night.  Basically, the only time that I will wear pink. This night you will see lots of cowboys in bright pink jeans, chaps and shirts. 


Of course the boys had to go to at least one night, and were pretty upset that they only got to go once and I got to go every night.

I have to admit, it was totally awesome.  I get to rub shoulders with some of the greatest rodeo athletes in the business and I get to stand right by the fence for eleven rodeos a year, for free.  I guess if you volunteer your time as a doctor they give you a free ticket. I actually came home and announced that I was giving up my day job to become a rodeo doctor, but I got the look of "you are crazy, and this has gone a little too far."  So I will keep my day job and get as excited as a five year old before Christmas  when July comes around every year.


This is why I want to be the doctor and not a participant.  I am sure this guys neck was hurting afterwards.

It was a bit anticlimactic.  There was no major injuries, just a few hurting backs and a broken collarbone.   I have to say that those guys are tough as nails.  There was a bull rider that got stepped on by the bull, on his shoulder.  It did not break anything, and he did not want ice or any Tylenol or anything.  He was just upset that he did not make a full 8 second ride.

I hope to be able to do this for years to come. I love being a Hick. 



Ben taking the kids in the secret tunnel

This is Mona now. My favorite rodeo ever is the Snake River Stampede. I love that it is indoors- out of the heat and the dust and this time it was awesome because we were treated like VIP's. Ben didn't mention that we pull up to the back gate, he says he is on the Justin Sports Rodeo team and they let him in. We drive up to the back door of the arena- next to the pens with all the livestock, among all the big 4X4 trucks and big trailers and park. Yes, our minivan did look WAY out of place. We walked in and they walked us through the security, secret tunnels and up to the stands with our special badge. Devin, the head guy of the team, told all the security people, " This is Doctor Tippets family. If they need to come through, just let them." Sometimes being married to a doctor does have its perks!  It was fun to watch Ben be on cloud nine- he even spoke in his hick accent while he was there. You could tell the team wanted really wanted to run out and save some poor cowboy from a big injury by the way they hung on the gates, but fortunately, there were no major injuries like Ben said. The only problem with this whole gig, is that his day job will never have the same appeal. 




1 comment:

Emily said...

I now have the biggest smile on my face. You guys are awesome!