Sunday, September 6, 2009

Our Job Choices

I wanted to give everyone the chance to weigh in on our upcoming job selection. So I(Ben) created a poll for you to participate in to help us decide. We are finding that we could see ourselves in any of these places. So, please vote, and if you want, vote often. (see sidebar to place vote)





This is St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise Idaho. I have yet to go to the first interview (coming up in two weeks). It is an intriguing place because I would be the first and only pediatric Pulmonologist there. Which means that I would be on call all the time. But on the flip side I could do things exactly the way I wanted. We have some great friends in Boise who love it there. This is Sanford Children's Hospital in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is a beautiful hospital that opened less than a year ago. Thanks to Denny Sanford who donated $400 million to their hospital system, they are the best funded Pediatric department I have ever seen, a big positive, and the other pulmonologist there is a great person. The down side is trying to talk Mona into living in South Dakota (the weather is about the same as Wisconsin - COLD).

Sacred Heart Children's Hospital in Spokane, Washington. The picture does not give it justice, it is a very nice hospital. The upsides: a good sized city that is close to home (as in close enough that we could drive occasionally), and there is one other pulmonologist that is very nice. Also I could do all of the bronchoscopy procedures, which I love. The downside is that with only one other partner, call is every other day.


Primary Children's Medical Center, in Salt Lake City ,Utah. What can I say, it is close to family and a nice hospital.




Monroe Carroll Children's - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. This hospital is probably the nicest children's hospital I have ever seen. Vanderbilt is a fantastic university and Nashville is great town. The weather is between Austin,Texas and Madison, Wisconsin. And the only other Mormon pediatric pulmonologist that I know of is here, and he is really cool.




Dell Children's Medical Center, Austin, Texas. I put this in the poll because I am still hopeful that a position will open up that we could look at. We loved Austin and would strongly consider moving back there if we had the chance.

The real question is: If we moved to one of these places would you come and visit us?

Thanks for voting!


8 comments:

Andrea said...

Lots of fun choices. Good luck--we don't envy you (smile).

It is evident that a lot of planning has gone into making those appealing places for sick kids to come visit and of course you too! Keep us posted and of course, we plan to see you in a few weeks!

Andrea said...

Oh and just so you know, 100% of the voters have said Boise so far!

Smile again.

Mindy said...

How about Madison? ;) We'll be sad to see you go! That's an exciting new adventure for you. Good luck. I've got a brother in Boise area, so that might be my vote, too.

Rushell said...

So of course I voted for Austin because I am selfish and would love to have you guys back here. But I think you guys would really loving living in Spokane or Nashville, both really great cities. You might actually get a visit from us in Nashiville since that is where my grandparents are. Good luck!

fielding clan said...

I personally would LOVE to see you at Primary Childrens. But other than being close to family, not much was said about it. My next choice is Boise because it is close to. But the funnest place to visit (and so I voted for) would be Nashville and then Spokane (I think Sharla lives there). I am like Mona in that I don't like cold weather!

Unknown said...

I cast my vote for Spokane, but is the weather there really much better than in South Dakota or Wisconsin? I know that it is toward the east side of Washington, near Idaho, which is not close to where Sharla lives or where Jill and Trevor lived (pretty sure). My second vote would be Boise.

Russ and Em said...

My first choice was Salt Lake because I miss Mona a ton, but professionally it didn't sound that appealing. My second would be in Washington, but that is only because we have a dream to someday live in the Pacific Northwest, and possibly we might need you to do it vicariously for us.

By the way, we would try to visit you wherever you move (not that we've been successful at it thus far.)

Marisa said...

I have heard really nice things about Spokane. And I want to go there someday. I would come visit you wherever you live, if I could. We love you!