Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cowboy Tough

There comes a time in most every one's life when they say, "I can't do it." or "I won't do it."
I am still waiting for the day when Ben says those words.
As most of you know, when we moved here, Ben bought a bike. And, Ben has chosen to ride his bike to work. Everyday.

So during these winter months when it is incredibly freezing, nose-hair-freezing, why-do-we-live-here-freezing and all I do is complain about how cold it is here and how going outside is a rather unpleasant experience. (Although, I do it, almost everyday, which is a HUGE improvement from last winter.) And when the morning news is saying, "Stay at home if you can." or " the windchill is deadly this morning," Ben bundles himself in layer after layer and says,"I like the exercise, I like being outdoors. And besides, I pride myself on being Cowboy tough." We say goodbye and after promising me he will be careful and that he won't die, he braves the weather on his bike.
Maybe someday he will give in to my offer to take him to work, until then, he is getting creative in his winter wear.


The ski goggles are a new addition.
He was getting lashcicles and couldn't see to bike.



Departure.



His hands were the only thing that would get cold. He tried a billion different combos of layering various gloves and mittens without good results. (Dog sledding mittens were the next buy) Instead, being the innovative cowboy he is, he made himself mini rice bags and sewed them to his inner gloves. Yes, he microwaves them before he leaves.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

OH my goodness. He NEVER ceases to SHOCK and amaze me!!

Keri said...

This post made me miss y'all more than ever! Reminds me of the time he took a chainsaw to your bedframe...he ALWAYS comes up with something!

Haynes Family said...

Ben is so cowboy tough, I am so impressed. There aren't very many people out there that love the outdoors that much. I love the rice bag gloves, very creative.

Rushell said...

WOW! It reminds me of those crazy people you say still run in that weather. I guess we know now that they are all just tough not crazy.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ben, you are an idiot - your brother