I used to hate January- I thought of it as pure boredom after so many fun activities during the holidays-- especially in Wisconsin when it is super cold, super gray and super depressing.
The last few years, January has been such a joy. I welcome the slower pace, taking time to plan out the year, making New Year's Resolutions and just enjoying being home.
This January we actually had snow and it was cold, which was a great motivator to stay in and get organized. I wish I were like all those people on Pinterest, who take before and after pictures of their organization projects, but I didn't. I have recommitted myself to my Home Organization System and it is going really well. Our house has been clean the majority of the time, which I consider a HUGE success! I have some good little helpers that I have found are more motivated to help tidy up a few times a day than one long time at the end of the day. We've either turned a new leaf or had a lucky month, I'll take either one.
I took the time while we were sick to read the book, The Entitlement Trap, By Linda and Richard Eyre. I have read several of their parenting books, and this one is a great synopsis of a few of them, with more details on some of the systems that have worked in their family. It was a great book to get some creative juices flowing for our family goals for the year. We have also made a list of couples that we know that we are taking out to dinner to pick their brains about parenting. I am excited for this and hope they have great secrets to share.
One of my goals is to put more effort into our family nights. Bridger has decided that he would like to do the same, so each Monday he has planned his own lesson and activity along with mine. It makes for a little longer of a family night, but we all enjoy he creativity and enthusiasm. One Tuesday morning Bridger said to me, " I can't wait til next Monday! My lesson is so awesome I can't stop thinking about it!"
We moved Sissy out of her crib and into a "Big Girl bed" which is really just a twin mattress on the floor. She has done well with the transition and likes to sleep, and even more, to jump on her new bed. She has gone potty on the toilet a few times and I am debating whether or not to start potty training....
We were looking through a photo album and I saw a picture of me a few hours before I gave birth to Carter. I looked in the mirror later that day and saw the same image, but instead of being hours away from giving birth, I am still 9 weeks away. I think the elasticity of my skin will be stretched beyond it's maximum capacity this time and never recoil back. Uugghhh.... But while I am on the topic of pregnancy, I am feeling quite well despite the normal can't bend over normally and my hips hurt. They told me at my last visit that I was anemic. This is the first pregnancy I haven't felt that way, and the first time I have been. With Afton and Carter I could seriously nap for 2 hours a day... and often did and still went to bed before 10 p.m. I think it's another sign it's a boy. He is very active and reminds me of Bridger in utero. I thought for a few days of what a surprise it would be if Moose was really a girl... but then saw my doctor and listened to his heart rate.
Yep. Boy.
We went on a date last weekend. Bridger came in my bathroom just as I finished getting ready to go. He looked at me and gasps. He says, "Mom! You look so cute!" (apparently a rare occasion) And then he says, "You look as cute as a Rodeo Queen!" (not the look I was going for.. and just FYI- I only wear cowgirl clothes to rodeos.. although I guess that is not completely true.. there is one pair of wrangler jeans I can still fit into so I wear them....but you would never know they are wranglers....) and just for the record I was wearing black skinny pants, a zebra striped shirt, pink scarf and gray boots... Maybe a rodeo queen is the top of his compliment list.... or at least I hope.
PROJECTS! I am so excited for our projects this year... I have finished a few super cute crafts, Ben is currently working on redoing our master closet... all the shelves etc to maximize space and we have lots of fun things planned that I hope all come to be. It makes me giddy thinking about it!! Stay tuned :)
I am reading the Old Testament and want to finish it this year. I haven't attempted this in a really, really long time. I've made it through Genesis... it's interesting... that's all I can say. ( and that it makes me love reading the Book of Mormon even more... it is SO much better! Is that mean to say?)
And, that is all. Hope you had a Happy January.
We moved Sissy out of her crib and into a "Big Girl bed" which is really just a twin mattress on the floor. She has done well with the transition and likes to sleep, and even more, to jump on her new bed. She has gone potty on the toilet a few times and I am debating whether or not to start potty training....
We were looking through a photo album and I saw a picture of me a few hours before I gave birth to Carter. I looked in the mirror later that day and saw the same image, but instead of being hours away from giving birth, I am still 9 weeks away. I think the elasticity of my skin will be stretched beyond it's maximum capacity this time and never recoil back. Uugghhh.... But while I am on the topic of pregnancy, I am feeling quite well despite the normal can't bend over normally and my hips hurt. They told me at my last visit that I was anemic. This is the first pregnancy I haven't felt that way, and the first time I have been. With Afton and Carter I could seriously nap for 2 hours a day... and often did and still went to bed before 10 p.m. I think it's another sign it's a boy. He is very active and reminds me of Bridger in utero. I thought for a few days of what a surprise it would be if Moose was really a girl... but then saw my doctor and listened to his heart rate.
Yep. Boy.
We went on a date last weekend. Bridger came in my bathroom just as I finished getting ready to go. He looked at me and gasps. He says, "Mom! You look so cute!" (apparently a rare occasion) And then he says, "You look as cute as a Rodeo Queen!" (not the look I was going for.. and just FYI- I only wear cowgirl clothes to rodeos.. although I guess that is not completely true.. there is one pair of wrangler jeans I can still fit into so I wear them....but you would never know they are wranglers....) and just for the record I was wearing black skinny pants, a zebra striped shirt, pink scarf and gray boots... Maybe a rodeo queen is the top of his compliment list.... or at least I hope.
PROJECTS! I am so excited for our projects this year... I have finished a few super cute crafts, Ben is currently working on redoing our master closet... all the shelves etc to maximize space and we have lots of fun things planned that I hope all come to be. It makes me giddy thinking about it!! Stay tuned :)
I am reading the Old Testament and want to finish it this year. I haven't attempted this in a really, really long time. I've made it through Genesis... it's interesting... that's all I can say. ( and that it makes me love reading the Book of Mormon even more... it is SO much better! Is that mean to say?)
And, that is all. Hope you had a Happy January.
2 comments:
Rodeo Queen is my new standard of beauty.
Wow- thanks for your positivity! Our January has been so hard for a few different reasons- but mostly due to the cold, polluted place we live in. I'm hoping it'll be more exciting once we own a home and can actually put up shelves and get organized. I'm such a summer girl I just hate winter. It was nice to read your happy thoughts. I'd love to see pictures! I love to see what other people do to stay organized- I'm in desperate need to be better organized. Glad you're doing so well!
Post a Comment