Sunday, December 16, 2012

Winter Garden-A-Glow and The Gingerbread House

 This is our third year attending the Winter Garden-A-Glow.
It is a really fun night for the kids to go look at Christmas lights, pet a reindeer, see Santa, make a craft and eat lots of goodies. We get to see a few of Ben's colleagues there and we also invite some friends to come with us. This year we brought the Perry's and the Bell's. 
The night was perfect weather. We have had a really mild winter so far, and by the end of the night, most of us had our coats off. Thank goodness for the stroller to carry all of our winter gear, goody bags, hot chocolate and prizes... it's a given that Sissy won't stay in it for longer than 10 minutes anywhere I go. I hate bringing it, but like tonight, it usually comes in handy for lots of other things. 

Carter with the gingerbread man.
And Frosty

Bridger, Carter and Carson

Bridger with Santa and Mrs. Claus

All the kids before Sissy started wailing when Santa looked at her. 


 Bridger has been so excited for Christmas this year. I finally gave in to putting up the Christmas tree a week before Thanksgiving, after several days of he and Carter digging through all the Christmas decorations and spreading them all over the basement and them begging me everyday non stop to put it up. Uggh. I couldn't take it anymore, so we just set it up, hoping that this would pacify their eagerness for the season. Nope. They just moved on to other things, like the Gingerbread house. Bridger saw a gingerbread house kit at the grocery store when we were in Utah buying things for our Thanksgiving dinner. The only way I got it out of the cart without three hysterical children (Sissy had no clue what it was, she just follows suit) was that I promised we would make one when we got home. Bridger's memory is way too good and on the drive home insisted that before we got to our house, we had to go to the store. I delayed again, but it was only a matter of  a day before the begging began. Bridger would make threats that he wasn't going to school or do his jobs etc etc if I didn't make one. FINALLY! On December 1st I made a gingerbread house for him to put together. This kid thought he would die before I would ever get to it!
I would say the house was okay. I am a much better cook than an architect and my plans for house didn't turn out to match up like they should after it was cooked, so we had to adjust it a little bit, but it was nothing that a little frosting glue couldn't fix.
And, it's our first gingerbread house, so cut us some slack. 

 The house is built and decorating has begun!



 Sissy loves this idea, she sat there just eating handfuls of candy. 

 He can be meticulous. Here Bridger is using gummy bears to line the rooftop to be elves. He had me put frosting caps on each of them.

The final pictures: Bridger did it all himself, I just helped with  the frosting. 




The rest of the day, both Bridger and Afton were so sick. They definitely had way too much sugar.  Carter was at horse riding lessons when we did this, so he was fine and just got to sneak candy pieces off the house when Bridger wasn't looking. 
With the Tree up and gingerbread house made by Dec. 1st- I'd say we're off to a great start! 



No comments: